Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF

Default A question re corruption

Send To is not Saving the file: it is MOVING a copy to location X. You are
just using the File, Open or File Save dialogs as a way to select the file
for the move.

Terry

wrote in message ...
: Sorry Guys, now I'm really confused! Surely it has been said here that
: saving to A: or even E: direct from Word is likely to cause corruption.
: Therefore 'save as' is not right (which is what I used to do). But
: copying from C: to E: under Windows Explorer is OK away from Word. Then
: my question was: can we use a macro in Word to get temporarily out of it
: to Windows Explorer and then do the copy and then return, like System
: used to get you out of BASIC (shows age g) and let you do things in
: DOS and then return.
:
: Alternatively, can I make some form of macro that will operate from a
: hot key when in Windows Explorer? BTW, I have got VB5. This would be
: OK as I spend a lot of time in Explorer...
:
: TF wrote:
:
: You can also do it from the File, Open or File, SaVeAs dialog from Word.
: Right-click on the file and use Sent To, Drive X.
:
: Terry
:
: wrote in message
: :I take it that you all see no problem in copying and pasting within
: : Windows Explorer then (rather than via a Macro in Word). Or, another
: : thought, can one access Windows Explorer from Word, do it there, and
: : come back again - all in a Macro?
: :
: :
: : TF wrote:
: :
: : The reasons were mainly that floppies are (relatively) VERY slow to
read
: or
: : write and not the most reliable media. When Word saves (especially
in
: older
: : versions), it needs to build up the saved file and it does this by
: creating
: : a temporary file in the target folder gradually adding or
overwriting
: bits
: : until it has a complete file. This is then rewritten and saved as
the
: : document file. But the temp file is locked and active until the
document
: is
: : fully closed and Word/Windows releases the temp file.
: :
: : Problems become serious if the file is fairly large or the floppy is
: : partially filled because the document file and the temp files may
have
: : insufficient room to co-exist on the floppy. To make matters worse,
: : simultaneous reading and writing to the floppy is happening at the
very
: slow
: : rate of the floppy drive.
: :
: : So all in all, it was hardly surprising that floppies were a
disaster
: with
: : Word! The best and safest solution for you is to write your macro to
: save
: : the file to the main HDD and then COPY or MOVE it to the mem stick.
: :
: : Although Word is not so demanding these days, problems still do
occur. I
: : have a colleague who has now twice corrupted large documents using a
: memory
: : stick to move between home and work to continue working on a
document.
: :
: : You now know the risks!
: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: : wrote in message
: ...
: : : Quite a lot has been written about avoiding corruption of
documents,
: and
: : : one piece of advice has been "do not save to A: from Word (though
from
: : : Explorer is okay). I habitually save to a memory stick/flash
drive in
: : : drive E and I would like to automate this with a VBA macro. Does
: anyone
: : : have any information on why saving to A: from Word causes
corruption,
: : : and more importantly whether or not saving to E: poses the same
: danger?
: : : Alternatively (and OT) is it possible to write a VBA (or other)
Macro
: : : invoke this procedure from a hot key while in Windows Explorer
(where
: I
: : : currently do this manually)?
: : :