Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar[_2_] Gordon Biggar[_2_] is offline

Default Placing of page numbers on the page

Excellent question (I should have thought of that). I created a new
document without columns, and the inserted page numbers appeared where they
are supposed to appear (upper right-hand corner). I then formatted the
blank document for two columns and inserted page numbers - correct placement
again. Obviously, there must be something unique to the document with which
I am working that will not permit the placing of page numbers in the upper
right-hand corner. I might try opening the header on the first page with
page numbers (page two), force a move to the right, to see if that affects
the subsequent pages.

Very strange.

GB

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
This is strange. Can you reproduce it in a new, blank document (with or
without columns), or does it only happen in one particular document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gordon Biggar" wrote in message
I am using Office 2000 (still). When I go the route of Insert\Page
Numbers, and then select upper page\right, the page numbers print out in
the upper left-hand corner instead. I am using column text on the pages.
Might this have something to do with the placement? I know that I can
physically go into the headers and change the location, but why is Word
ignoring my request?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas