See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrwGrphcs/...leGraphics.htm

"Accaptain" wrote in message
When you open the file(s) the pictures in the document do not display. Now
if you click on the document where the picture(s) is located it highlights

or
places a resize box around the image, but still no image displays. I tried

re-image the machine with no luck. Heres what I have found, the machine

has
Adobe writer and a Dymo label printer and both have add-ins for word. If I
take those .dot add-ins out of the Office startup folder the files open

fine
and display the picture(s). When you do allow the add-ins to start and the
picture(s) do not display you can go into any option in word and change it
then click ok and the pictures show up. Its like you are just refreshing

word
and they show up. But as soon as you open the file again the pictures do

not
show again. I have tried unchecking the picture placeholders option many
people talk about with no results. The only real way to make them show is

remove all the .dot add-ins from the Office startup folder. Very strange
issue that has stumped me. Thanks to anybody with answers!