Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Default Using MathType with Office 2007

On 15-Nov-2006, in the thread "How to make the Math Type [sic]
Tool Bar appear in Word 2003", Ben wrote:

I notice you're from Design Science--that's very cool! I hope
I'm not hijacking this thread when I ask you if there is an
official plan for Word 2007 support, especially in light of
Microsoft dropping the old "MathType Lite" editor.

Ben, I wouldn't use the term "hijacking", but it's probably
better to use a new subject line. So I did.

So far, our results with both Windows Vista and Office 2007 have
been very favorable. Like you mention in another post though,
with Office 2007 you don't get the familiar MathType 5 toolbar
and menu. Here's the best solution for now...

Note that these steps represent a work-around for MathType 5.2c,
and as such may have potential for unanticipated problems. These
steps also may not work for versions other than 5.2c. We are
currently working on an upgrade to MathType for compatibility
with Office 2007 and the appropriate announcements will be made
upon its completion.

1. There are two files that must be copied: These files are
listed with their path as follows:

C:\Program Files\MathType\Office Support\MathType Commands 5 for
Word.dot
C:\Program Files\MathType\MathPage\MathPage.wll

2. Both these files must be copied to:

C:\Program Files\MicrosoftOffice\Office12\Startup

If your Trust settings are such that it prevents this from still
working, as an alternative, copy the files he

C:\Documents and Settings\User Account Name\Application
Support\Microsoft\Word\Startup

When you start Word, you will see a new Tab called Addins. Click
this tab to reveal the MathType toolbar and the MathType Menu.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide