I wish I knew enough to help you, but unfortunately I've run out of ideas
here!

"Sandra Salstrom" wrote in
message ...
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. For the time being, I've created a pdf

and
will decide later what to do.

One more question: in the last few days, I have run into two more people

at
my company who have the exact same style problem cropping up on them --

with
the exact same name "default paragraph font para char". We've all

discovered
the problem in the last few days. One had opened my doc on their machine

take a look at it, the other hadn't.
Perhaps a virus? Perhaps a common occurence that has only recently become
"common"?
This morning I downloaded anything suggested for Office / Word 2003.
thanks, Suzanne,
Sandra

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is a difference between "styles" and "formatting." In Word 2002,
Microsoft introduced the Styles and Formatting task pane, which seems to
reflect an admission of defeat, a concession that most Word users will

never
be persuaded to use styles. So whenever you add direct formatting to

Normal
(or any other style), Word creates a "formatting" listing of

Normal+Bold,
Normal+18 point, Italic, or whatever. The idea is that you can use these
collections of formatting like styles, reapplying them as needed to

other
paragraphs. They also, if you do use styles, tend to serve as a reminder
that you're not using them "correctly," that is, that you probably need

either update the style to match the new formatting or create a new

style.
If you don't want to see these "formatting" listings, however, then you
clear the check box I mentioned.

Enter the "char char" bug: Whenever you apply a paragraph style to just

part
of a paragraph (intentionally or, more often, unintentionally), Word

applies
it as a character style, so that you end up with, say, a Normal

paragraph,
part of which is formatted in Heading 1 Char. This bug was somewhat
corrected by SP1 for Office XP IIRC.

The Default Paragraph Font (as explained at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/DefParaFont.htm) is just the
underlying font applied to a paragraph as part of the style; it isn't a
specific font, just the font defined by the style. Reapplying the DPF
character style is, in effect, the same thing as stripping off any

direct
font formatting (by using Ctrl+Spacebar).

Here's where it gets murky, as I can't quite see any scenario that would
result in "default paragraph font para char," which looks like it's

trying
to be both a paragraph and a character style.

I'm not sure what to suggest doing with your document. If all your
paragraphs have been formatted strictly with styles and have no direct
formatting applied, you could Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q, and Ctrl+Spacebar, but

this
would remove *all* direct formatting, both paragraph and character
formatting, so it's pretty drastic and probably not necessary. You can

also
probably delete the "default paragraph font para char" style, but I'm

not
sure what repercussions that might have, either.

You could treat the document as corrupt (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm), or you could

carefully
rebuild it from the template (create one if you haven't already).

Starting
with a fresh document based on the template, copy and paste portions of

the
original document in, keeping an eye on the Styles and Formatting task

pane
to see if new styles or formatting show up. If they do, Undo to remove

the
pasted text and hope for the best. If worst comes to worst, you can

paste as
Unformatted Text and reapply your styles.

I would not advise this amount of work if you hadn't said that this

document
was going to have a long life and need to be edited a lot. In such a
situation it's probably worth the effort to get it as clean as possible.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sandra Salstrom" wrote in
message ...
Suzanne,
I was able to replace Normal.dot. I am very confused, though, about

why I
was able to work so long on this doc with "Keep track of formatting"

on
and
it only recently became unruly. Aside of this, what is "default

paragraph
font para char"?

More important, can I still use this file? Should I create a new file

with
some kind of new formatting for this document?

thanks
Sandra

"Sandra Salstrom" wrote:

You did it! It worked. Wow! Why?

I had figured it was a history of crashing/recovering without

deleting
temp
files, and having a changed normal.dot. So, when I saw your advice

(and
it
worked!), I had just deleted all temp files I could get my hands on,

and
was about to replace normal.dot with a pristine version (I must have

clicked
"yes" sometime or other to a dialog box asking me if I want to

change
the
template). However, I'm not having any luck overwriting that

normal.dot
with
another one. Any advice on that?

Thanks, Susan!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have "Keep track of formatting" checked on the Edit tab of

Tools |
Options? If so, what happens if you clear the check box?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sandra Salstrom" Sandra

wrote in
message ...
The Problem: all of the styles have morphed into a style called

"default
paragraph font para char"

Have a major document (MS Word 2003, Professional version / OS

is
Win XP)
that will need editing, etc for the rest of its long life.

Created
styles
for
it that worked like a charm. Finished/published it 2 weeks ago.

Looked at
it
today and every style has morphed into a strange style called

"default
paragraph font para char" that I've never seen before. However,

the
doc
still
looks exactly the same as before. Several of my

backups/revisions
have the
same problem. None of my other documents have this problem.

I've never seen such a thing. Microsoft Knowledge Base has no

clues
for me
(that I can find). What happened? What can I do?