Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word Document extension - .docx

Office 2007 apps can save in legacy Office formats. Just choose Save As
instead of Save.

You might also tell your colleagues that Microsoft offers a free Office 2007
Compatibility pack that lets them open x format files:

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Lemony" wrote in message
news
I have Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student, and the Vista operating
system. All Word documents carry the extension ".docx" (as opposed to
".doc"
which is what I am used to in Word). I've discovered that the ".docx" is
not
supported by any other generation or version of Microsoft and nobody can
open
my Word Documents on their computers. Is there a way to make my Word
documents openable by other Microsoft Word generations or versions? By
the
way, I'm having the same problem with my excel (".xlsx") documents too.