Stefan Blom

Well, list styles store only numbering formatting. It would be easier
to attach numbering to paragraph styles, which allow you to specify
Space Before.

If you define a separate style for the first paragraph after a list
and a separate style for the text between numbered items, you can
easily adjust Space Before to make the text look good. Switching
between styles can be done easily via the "Style for following
paragraph" setting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anita" wrote in message
Word should allow you to specify different paragraph spacing on the

first and
last items in a list when using a list style.

I write user guides, and I always use styles for formatting. I set

paragraph
spacing for the general text flow, but I often find myself manually

adjusting
paragraph spacing on the first and/or last items in a list. Less

space before
the first item and more space after the last item visually links the

list
with its lead-in paragraph.

This is very tedious to do in a lengthy document, and now that Word

has a
separate category of style for lists, it would be a very useful

option to
incorporate in list styles.

If there's already a way to automate this, I'd love to know how.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout