Klaus Linke

Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining myself very well.

No, my fault...

I'm not 100% clear what the desired result is.
Do you want the Heading to read

SECTIONOne

with "SECTION" not bold, "One" bold?

Or will there be a number on the left, too? Or text that follows?

If it's the simple case:
I understand that you already added "SECTION" in the "Numbering (Outline tab)
Modify..." dialog.
So when you apply "Heading 1", that text appears automatically.

"Heading 1" is Arial, bold by default.

So you'd need to make the numbering, "SECTION", not bold, and you're set, right?

In the numbering dialog, underneath the box where you entered the text
"SECTION", there should be a button for the "Font...".
If you click on it, you can set the font of the numbering to "not bold".
Back in the numbering dialog, you can also delete the tab stop, and set the
indent to your liking.

I hope this works for you, and that I understood what you want to achieve.

Generally speaking, you could also use a style separator, to have two paragraph
styles on one line. You'd insert that with Alt+Ctrl+Enter. But it's not very
often used, and unless your needs are more complicated, it shouldn't be
necessary.

Regards,
Klaus

Yes, you are correct, by "section headers", I was
talking about chapters...

I've modified the "Heading 1" built-in style to include
the chapter number by using the numbering format tab, and
I can add the word "Section" in front of it on the same
screen. Now, my text is the way I want it. So far, so
good.... (I want to use the Heading 1 style so that I can
number my chapters sequentially...but maybe that's my
problem?)

Where I run into trouble is that I want the word "Section"
to be a different font than the chapter number. I've
tried selecting some of the text and applying a character
style to re-format (which, if I understand correctly was
your suggestion), but once it is formatted with
the "Heading 1" style, it won't allow you to apply the
style to only part of the text. Nor will it allow me to
insert text in front of the number that was automatically
inserted by selecting the "Heading 1" style.

Maybe I'm just missing something very basic??