Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default using Word field "if" for a list item?

Ah yes, I see what you mean.

One thing you can do is select the document prior to print or preview and
use ctrl-shift-F9 to "unlink" all the fields, leaving their results.

I don't think I've ever worked out another scheme that avoids VBA.

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, Peter -

Today was my first chance to test this on a Windows machine. I went in
and individually updated each field, and got the document correct on
the screen. When I printed, or even did a print preview, the problem
returned that all the numbers were set to the final value. Not sure
what is causing this, but it does it on the Mac platform, too. Using
the data merge manager to select a new record causes the fields to
return to their correct values, until the next print attempt.

I may have to give up on this one, but if anyone has any final ideas,
I'm willing to give them a fling. Thanks...

On Apr 5, 3:51 pm, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
From your response, it sounds like re-
executing will mess up my numbering

From your question, it sounds as if your numbering was already messed up.
If
not, can you be more precise about the problem? If so, you probably
aren't
going to make things worse. As long as you save a copy of the file, you
can
try re-executing the fields and see if it works without damaging
anything,
right?

Is the file you transferred from the Mac the Mail Merge Main document or
the
result of the merge? If it's the result, did it look OK on the Mac?

If you use Alt-F9 to reveal the field codes, do you see any of the { = }
or
{ S } field codes?

We're already using a workaround because Word doesn't really do what you
want. Mucking around in the middle of the job transferrring stuff from
Mac
to Windows seems to me to be pushing your luck. If you have to do the
merge
on the Mac and the results are OK there, how about saving the result as a
.pdf (assuming you've got the built-in facility on Mac OS X instead?

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi, Peter -

I'm not sure that I understand -- are you saying that I should, or
should not, re-execute? From your response, it sounds like re-
executing will mess up my numbering. If this is the case, what is the
cure?

Thanks...sorry if I'm being a bit dense on this one.

mz

On Apr 5, 12:57 am, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
1. What if you select the document (e.g. control-A) and re-execute all
the
fields (F9)?

2. Word will actually display the /current/ value of any REF field
when
you
re-execute it. The { = } approach only works because Word executes all
the
fields sequentially from the beginnin gof the document. So at one
point
when
it executes { S }, it will be 1, then after the next { = } , it will
be
2,
and so on. But if you actually go back and select and re-execute, that
first
{ S }, it will have the same value as the last in the list.

Peter Jamieson