Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default How to Delete file that says "The directory name is not valid"?

Actually, if we're just talking about the File menu MRU (in Word 2003 and
earlier), they can be selectively deleted using Alt+Ctrl+Hyphen.

http://word.mvps.org

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word 2003

If you want to delete them all then set tools options general
recently used files to 0, confirm the change, then change it back to the
number it was previously.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/clear_recently_used_file_list.htm

If you want to selectively delete, then it gets altogether more
complicated, but friend and fellow MVP Greg Maxey has done all the work -
see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Recent_Files_List_Editor.htm

Word 2007

The list is stored in the registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12\Wor d\FileMRU, from where
you can delete individual entries
or
You can use the following macro which will reset the list to your preset
preferred number of displayed documents:

Sub ClearMRU
Application.DisplayRecentFiles = True
listsize = RecentFiles.Maximum
RecentFiles.Maximum = 0
RecentFiles.Maximum = listsize
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm
or again to edit the list see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Recent_Files_List_Editor.htm

Nicole wrote:
How do I Delete a file that says "The directory name is not valid"? I
have a whole list of files that state that and I want to get them off
of my Recent Documents list.