Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How do I set up a letterhead template with a continuation page

The whole idea of using "Different first page" is to avoid use of a section
break. Section breaks just don't work for letters because if you start
typing at the beginning, you will just keep extending Section 1 unless you
intentionally start typing after the break, which most typists won't
instinctively do. Not to mention that, as you say, a template with a section
break will always produce two pages even when only one is needed. The only
case where section breaks make sense (sometimes) is when you have a
significant logical break, such as after a title page or TOC, and the second
section will always be needed.

To answer your specific question, no, you absolutely don't need two
templates. The solution I describe will work regardless of how many pages
the document has. Word will remember the Header/Footer to use when the
document exceeds a single page.

"Wendy Farkas" wrote in message
news
Nice article, Suzanne. The point about setting 2nd page layout first, even
thought counter-intuitive, helped. Since I have produced a document with a
there is sufficient text to run to page 2 or not. Does this mean I need to
produce two templates, a one-page or a two-pager, or is there a
one-size-fits-all solution?

Does my question make sense?

Thanks,

Wendy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OnTrack" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a template in Word 2002 which will have our

letterhead
as normal on the 1st page but if the document runs to a second page I

would
like that to be as per a continuation sheet