Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGF1cmE=?=,

I'm ok with that. If it does happen, it can be locked again by clicking on
the padlock (Forms toolbar), and just won't be password protected, right?
I'd just love for it to be as user friendly as possible, and the dialogue box
would help immensely. (I would just need to know -- would it clear all the
fields as it does when you unprotect the doc now? Best if not, but I'd take
it regardless.)

OK, here you go. And when it reprotects it does retain the data in fields:

Sub ShowEditLinks()
Dim doc As Word.Document

Set doc = ActiveDocument
If doc.ProtectionType wdNoProtection Then
doc.Unprotect
End If
Dialogs(wdDialogEditLinks).Show
doc.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, True