Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Exactly 24 vs. Double Space

Actually 24-point line spacing is about what you get when you double-space
10-point type. Double spacing on 12-point type is noticeably spacier than 24
point. That's because every font has a certain amount of "leading" (line
spacing) built in that makes the space between lines greater than the
nominal point size. This can vary considerably from one font to another,
which is why it is generally preferable to use Exactly spacing when mixing
fonts.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in message
Exactly 12 and 24 are equal to single and double spacing ONLY if you're
using
a 12-point font. If you're using a 10-point font, 24-point spacing is a
little bit more than double-spacing. If you're using an 18-point font,
24-point spacing is less than double-spacing.

I hope this helps.

Fred

"Kim" wrote:

Can someone please explain to me the difference between using exactly 24
or
double spacing. I know the california courts insist on Exactly 12 and 24
but
in NY we use just plain old single and double spacing.

Thank you.