Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SB Mull SB Mull is offline

Default Word 2007 Styles

I will try your solution for that particular problem, but I have another
issue with styles that I will set up as a new post because it is different.
--
Sandra

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote:

Hi Tengu:

Once you accept that Word 2007 was designed for people who don't know how to
use a word processor, you will get the idea :-)

In Word 2007, the user is supposed to use Quick Style Sets, and the user is
not expected to need to change them: that's the administrator's job. So the
top-level tools make it easy for the user to change the styles in the
current document without changing the styles in the template.

Under the Change Styles chunk on the ribbon is a tiny box. Click that and
you can "Show the Styles window". In the Styles Window you can access a
Modify command for the style you are interested in.

At the bottom of the Modify dialog, are two radio buttons: "Only in this
document" and "Documents based on this template". Choose the second: it's
the equivalent of the previous "Add to template" command on the Styles
dialog.

When you save the document, Word will then also save the template, and your
changes will be preserved.

This is an end-user tool: performing complex administration functions such
as modifying the styles in a template is never going to be easy!

Cheers

On 18/1/07 4:14 PM, in article
, "Tengu"
wrote:

It seems like the more thorough I try to be with my explanation the more
confusing it becomes for you!

I want to be able to define a style and then have that style be available in
ALL subsequent new documents. I don't want it to be the default style, just
available if and when I want it at the click of my mouse. In the past one
added such things to what I believe was called the "global" template saved in
normal.dot.

I haven't found a way to save any redefined or new styles that survive
beyond the document I'm working on when I define them.

To be a little more specific:
I often create documents for which I like to have a formatted title with
these attributes: my default font in 16 point bold and itelic type, and in
small caps format. I am able to change the "Heading 1" style accordingly AND
to create and name a new style. Since I always base it on "Heading 1" it has
the feature that it reverts to my default font when I hit the return key
after typing the title line. I want it to do that! But when I exit the
current document and exit and restart word that style is no longer visible on
the style palette.
eb

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410