Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Irish Cruiser Irish Cruiser is offline

Default page numbers, multiple docs

HI Stefan

Thanks for your help - its been a long night for me (Irish time).. I am
still getting syntax error My field now reads as follows:
= { PAGE } + { INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\Desktop\\Jan
9\\1. Executive Summary.doc" LastPage \* MERGEFORMAT

What I am doing wrong??

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The INCLUDETEXT field requires double backslashes in paths. For
example:

{ INCLUDETEXT "C:\\my folder\\another folder\\my file.doc" }

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Irish Cruiser" wrote in message
I need to automate my page numbering. I am using separate documents,

not a
Master/Sub document format.

I came across a field commnad to automate this based on a hidden

page field
bookmarked as LastPage in the previous document as follows:
{ = { PAGE } + { INCLUDETEXT "[document]" LastPage
\* CharFormat \! } }

I have placed this formula in my footer, replacing "document" with

the path
for the previous doc, starting with C:/etc and ending in .doc

I keep getting a syntax error. All suggestions gratfully

received...