Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mary jane

Default Zero dropping from zip codes in word mail merge

Thanks Peter, I'll try these ways. Frankly in this case there was only 61
recipients so I just edited manually, but I would like to know for larger
groups.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Thanks but isn't there an easy way,

There are only really three types of "easy" approach to fixing this:
a. change the way Word connects to Excel to DDE (I can't remember if Graham
covers that on the page you looked at, but you need to check Word
Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open" and reconnect to your
sheet. DDE is the way Word used to work by default in version 2000 and
earlier)
b. if you have fewer than around 63 columns, copy/paste from Excel to Word
and use the Word document as the data source
c. use switches in the fields.

I mean it's a pretty basic thing, why
should I lose the zero from a zip code when creating envelopes and letters
when the column is set for zip code in excel?

I agree with you, but unfortunately that's the way it is now.

Peter Jamieson

"Mary jane" wrote in message
Thanks but isn't there an easy way, I mean it's a pretty basic thing, why
should I lose the zero from a zip code when creating envelopes and letters
when the column is set for zip code in excel? I don't recall this
happening
to me in the past and I didn't expect to have to write code to fix it

"Mary jane" wrote:

Merging from excel, field is set for zip in excel, dropping the first
zero
when merging into letters and envelopes. How do I change the field
attributes so word does not drop the zero in that field??

Thanks