Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default Zero dropping from zip codes in word mail merge

DDE is covered in my web page -
however, the method suggested at
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm is simpler.

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Thanks but isn't there an easy way,

There are only really three types of "easy" approach to fixing this:
a. change the way Word connects to Excel to DDE (I can't remember if
Graham covers that on the page you looked at, but you need to check
Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open" and reconnect
to your sheet. DDE is the way Word used to work by default in version
2000 and earlier)
b. if you have fewer than around 63 columns, copy/paste from Excel
to Word and use the Word document as the data source
c. use switches in the fields.

I mean it's a pretty basic thing, why
should I lose the zero from a zip code when creating envelopes and
letters when the column is set for zip code in excel?

I agree with you, but unfortunately that's the way it is now.

Peter Jamieson

"Mary jane" wrote in message
Thanks but isn't there an easy way, I mean it's a pretty basic
thing, why should I lose the zero from a zip code when creating
envelopes and letters when the column is set for zip code in excel? I
don't recall this happening
to me in the past and I didn't expect to have to write code to fix it

"Mary jane" wrote:

Merging from excel, field is set for zip in excel, dropping the
first zero
when merging into letters and envelopes. How do I change the field
attributes so word does not drop the zero in that field??

Thanks