Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tomincnj tomincnj is offline

Default Unable to modify shortcut keys

Suzanne,

Tks for your response...I hope this helps to better explain my problem.

I have an IBM X40 Notepad, XP Operating System & runing either Microsoft
Word or Microsoft Excel 2002(10.6854.6854)SP3.

After launching either Word or Excel, I am able to insert symbols from the
symbol menu (font, subset) with out a problem.

My two problems a

(1)Default shortcut keys do not work, (2) Unable to change default shortcut
keys.

Regarding Changes:

Once I have the Symbol Menu Window open, no matter which Symbol, Font, or
Subset I select, the correct default shortcut key for that Symbol appears
next to the €śShortcut Key:€ť display line directly to the Right of the
€śShortcut Key€¦€ť button. Also, the €śCharacter code:€ť field appears correct as
well.

But when I attempt to change any Shortcut Key by clicking the €śShortcut
Key€¦€ť button, the €śCustomize Keyboard Menu appears but the €śCurrent Key€ť box
is empty and Im unable to enter any changes to the €śPress new shortcut key:€ť
field.

As an example:

Font: Arial
Subset: General Punctuation
Symbol Displayed: BULLET
Recently used symbols: BULLET
Character code: 2022 from Unicode (hex)
Shortcut ket: Alt+0149

When I click the €śShortcut key€¦ €ś button to make a change, the €śCurrent
keys€ť field is empty but the BULLET symbol is displayed to the right of the
€śSymbol€ť Field directly beneath the €śPress New Shortcut Key€ť Field.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Just to clarify. Are you trying to use the shortcut keys while you have the
Symbol dialog open? If so, that's not necessary, as you can insert the
symbol directly by double-clicking or by selecting and clicking Insert. If
you're saying that clicking the "Shortcut Key..." button opens the dialog
but doesn't allow you to change the keyboard shortcut, what kind of shortcut
are you trying to enter in the "Press new shortcut key" box?

As for the Alt codes, as Terry points out, these have to be entered from the
numeric keypad, not the number row on the main keyboard.

http://word.mvps.org

"tomincnj" wrote in message
I'm running Microsoft Word 2002 with XP...when I open a new or old
document
and then click "Insert", "Symbol" the "Symbol" character map menu opens.
If
I then click any font/subset the symbol is displayed along with its
shortcut
key. If I then click the shortcut key for any symbol....the shortcut menu
opens but it doesn't display the shortcut key nor am I able to change the
shortcut key.

I've tried running repair but it didn't fix the shortcut key problem.
Also,
unable to insert and any symbol using so called displayed shortcut
key....ie
"Bullet" symbol is displayed as ALT + 0149 but it doesn't work.

What do you suggest doing at this point?

Tks,

Tom