Margaret Aldis

If the flash cards are part of the chapter, and if you have used as style
(for example, Heading 1) you can use a StyleRef field in the page header to
pick up the last chapter number. There are full details in the Help for
StyleRef.

If the flashcards refer to different chapter numbers, you could use a cross
reference. Insert Reference Cross Reference, and select the type of
reference, format, and the chapter you are referencing. To make it easier to
enter, set up an AutoText for each chapter reference.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"MightyMissSarah" wrote in
message ...
I am creating (several) sets of 4x6" flash cards, and I need to put a
number
in a corner of each card- referencing the chapter that the card pertains
to.
What would be the simplest way to do that, without having to go through a
ton
of hoops?