Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Default Excessively Confused: Why are TOC Considered "Headers?"

Word is an incredibly complex program. I'm afraid that is being ramped up to
a new level with Word 2007. I just got my first good look at that yesterday.
Like all of us, I am resistant to change.

Anyway, in Word 2002, they came up with letting people apply the formatting
from a style to selected text rather than applying the style to the
paragraph that contains the selected text. Apparently some big corporate
client wanted that "feature." Yes, it is confusing. Generally the books
don't cover it. I just checked and my page
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm did not. I've added that
information to my page.

It is covered in a sidebar on Shauna Kelly's site on the
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ApplyAStyle.html page.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Hilary" wrote in message
"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

You need to apply the style to the entire paragraph, not line by line. To
do
this, do not select text. Click in the paragraph to be changed and apply
the
style. When you select text - other than the entire paragraph including
the
hidden paragraph mark - and apply a paragraph style, all that is applied
is
the character formatting, not the style or paragraph formatting.

First, an (absurdly obvious, to non-MVPs!) question: How does one produce
"line by line" text if *not* by hitting the "Enter" (or "New Paragraph")
key?
Second, why would the authors of WORD belabor--'cause WORD has been around
now for, oh, twenty years?--the difficulty of knowing which operation
requires that text be Selected, and which requires that it not be?

Mr. Kenyon, I am nothing but grateful to you and everyone else on this
thread; please don't construe my responses as signifying anything else.
Although self-taught, I took an introductory college course in WORD a few
years back, and even in its overly-elaborate and graphic-filled text and
interactive CD (whose bells and whistles were enough to distract even the
most dogged WORD student from what he/she wanted to master), there was no
discussion of those byzantine situations when text must be Selected in
order
for a user to accomplish a particular task, and when a "Style" can be
"Applied" (oh, so vague) only when text is *not* selected.

In any event, I have yet to generate a simple TOC. IIRC, I am a Master's
Degree holder (English Literature).