Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_33_] Henk57[_33_] is offline

Default Need hidden headings in TOC

Guys:
First, at home I am running 2002, at work 2003. At least at home I cld
make it work what Sherlock wants albeit the "toggle" doesn't work indeed
- sorry. Anyway, I hope you can reproduce the following.
Key is to assign a different Heading style to a different Heading
level.
Let's assume Heading 1-4 and Heading 6-9 are used, the latter group is
defined as hidden. Now, I assigned Heading x to TOC x, and defined TOC
1 identical as TOC 6, 2 as 7 etc. This I did so in the TOC u cannot
tell the difference, but for testing purposes this is probably not
needed. Define the appropriate levels being shown in the TOC.
If I clear in Heading 6-9 the hidden font attribute, it shows in the
TOC, if I check it again it disappears from the TOC upon updating.

an errorSherlock;2197072 Wrote:
I'm saying when hidden text is set to view and print, I WANT it to show
up in
the ToC (and I really think it used to in earlier versions), but it
doesn't
seem to anymore.

If I've intentionally set hidden text to view AND print, it would be
logical
that I'd want it to appear in the ToC as well.

You're right, though. It doesn't happen now.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
-
This is rather odd. I had tried that (enabling hidden in both printing
and
viewing) before posting my own response. Oddly enough... it still
doesn't
work here in Word 2003 or Word 2007.

So... you're saying that with hidden text set to view and to print, a

heading formatted as hidden gets included in the ToC?

It doesn't happen here... and I tried starting Word in safe mode as
well as
using the /a switch, then applying the settings to view and print
hidden
text afresh... on two different computers (one running XP, the other
running
Vista).

{toc}

First Heading (not hidden)

Second Heading (hidden)

When I refresh the { toc } field, only First Heading shows up, no
matter
what settings I use. If I remove the hidden formatting applied to the
2nd
heading, then refresh the TOC field, only then does it show up in the
TOC.

I even tried in Print Preview, and the hidden heading still doesn't
show.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Sherlock" wrote in message
...-
Thank you. Yes, you are right, I had to do that when I was able to
update
the
TOC to include hidden text in earlier versions, too.

Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
-
I believe you'd need to change the "Hidden text" setting on the Print
tab
of
Page Layout as well as on the View tab if you wanted to be able to
print
the
TOC with Hidden text included.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
I've never seen it work (never tried it before just now), but I can
confirm
that it doesn't work in Word 2003 or Word 2007.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog:
http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Sherlock" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a double-purpose document. I've done it before

in
previous versions, but it doesn't seem to be working in Word 2003
--
at
least

I put all of the text for both a user guide and a developer guide
in
single document. Then I hid all of the text that applies only to
the
developer guide.

It used to be that with Show/Hide on, the TOC included hidden
headings
and
numbered the pages accordingly, and with Show/Hide off, the TOC
excluded
hidden headings and numbered the pages accordingly. It worked
great!

Does that not work anymore? If not, are there any solutions other
than
saving a temporary version of the file and unhiding all of the
text?
Seems
such a clumsy approach to what used to be a slick method.

I do know from personal experience that if a user doesn't
understand
what's
happening and sets Show/Hide correctly before updating the TOC, it

can
cause
undesired results. However, MS could put in one of those messages
with
the
"Don't show this again" check box in that shows up in documents
with
hidden
text in them, explains the issue, and asks how the user wants to
address
it.

Thanks for your help.

--