Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Top Spin,

If you first size the graphic to the finished
dimension you'll want in Word while in
your other graphic applications then from those
applications export/save the graphics as
JPEG, BMP, TIFF, etc (choice of graphic form
and your print quality can be affected) to
a folder you can then, in Word use
Insert=Picture=From File and choose the
'Link only' choice from the [Insert|v] button
there.

If you use a paste choice you are adding the graphic
to the document. If you have the {Embed Object} choice
you have also setup a link (storing more than just the
graphic in the file) to the originating app.

When you pasted a graphic and Word switched itself
over to Print Layout view it was saying that the graphic
is being inserted in a manner different than text
(ie it's not inline with the text layer but is 'floating')

When a graphic is not formatted to layout as inline with text
then toggling the field codes with Alt+F9 won't show you
a code. You'd need to first have it inline with text to
have the field code toggle work and also for it to show
under Edit=Links.

==========
"Top Spin" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:54:37 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

You can insert the graphics as links. It will also help to work in Normal
view as much as possible, with "Picture placeholders" enabled.

I don't understand these results. It appears that even when I use
Paste Special with Paste Link, the actual image is stored in the Word
document.

1. I created a Word document with a few lines of text. When saved, it
shows as taking up 19KB of space.

2. Try regular cut and paste.

I then put a Visio graphic into the document using cut and paste. I
selected that one object in the Visio document and pressed Ctrl+C. I
then placed the cursor in the Word document and pressed Ctrl+V.

The image appears in the Word document. The Word document grows to
153KB, an increase of 134KB, so I presume that the actual image is
stored in the Word document.

I modified the image in Visio and refreshed the Word document (Ctrl+A,
F9). The image does not change, as I would expect.

Now I reveal the field codes (Alt+F9). The graphic is replaced by:

{ EMBED Visio.Drawing.6 }

Is this what it is supposed to be? I tried pasting a different image
using the same method. Same result. Exact same field codes.

3. Now I try Paste Special with the Paste Link option.

I go back to Visio and select the same image and press Ctrl+C. I then
Special dialog box opens, I click on Paste Link and leave the DSisplay
as Icon box unchecked. I click on OK.

The document switches to Print Layout View (it had been Normal) and
the image appears. It looks just like the one that was cut-and-pasted
except that it is larger and there is an anchor icon be the upper left
hand corner.

If I press Alt+F9, it does not change to a field code. It remains a
graphic. If I change the image in Visio, the Word copy changes
immediately. I don't even have to refresh it. But when I check, the
Word document has grown to 346KB, a gain of 193KB.

So is the image in the document or not? It appears that it is from the
increase in size, but it also automatically updates.

Finally, if I switch back to Normal View, the cut-and-paste image is
still visible as a graphic, but this one disappears altogether except
for a small black square next to the like it is anchored to.

3. Paste Special with Paste.

I noticed that Paste Special had a Paste option, too, so I tried that.
As with Paste Link, the document switched to Print Layout View and the
image appeared. Again, it was larger than the first one and this time
the nachor was by the lower left corner.

Switching back to Normal View, all I see is another little black
square and Alt+F9 has no effect. And the Word document has now grown
to 515 KB, an increase of 169 KB.

How the heck do I get just a link to a graphic - not the entire
graphic?
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)