Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default FYI Word 2007 users who must have menus

I didn't reply because I didn't want to get into an endless debate on this.
The more time I spend on this topic is less time I spend helping others out.
That's why I'm in the newsgroups, I'm not here to participate in lengthy
debates. :-)

The reason I wanted to refrain from further debate is because I've attempted
to debate topics of a more simplistic nature, such as a single option that
doesn't work they way you think it should, with you in the past and I know
how lengthy those became (I'm not referring to those things that were true
bugs, such as your scrollbar). Plus, whatever I had to say didn't make a
difference - you had your mind set and that was it.

I do believe I answered that question, though, (perhaps I drafted it and
never posted it in light of my reasons above) there are around 350 commands
in Word 2003. I don't know how many there are in Word 2007 but as a rough
estimate, about 100 additional commands. The issue the majority of users
encounter in the old UI is 350 commands is a lot to take in and a lot to
search through to find what they are looking for. So you already have a UI
that is a bit overwhelming, new features and functionality will be added.
Where are the new commands going to go? New menus? New toolbars? More
taskpanes? The UI for Word was designed for 1989 when menus were 4 commands
deep and the applications were outgrowing the UI as it was.

In light of that, some decisions needed to be made. One was a new design and
another was where to put everything. Is there really a need to place seldom
used dialog boxes a few clicks away in the UI by default? You may think they
should but the majority doesn't. And that's the key here, "the majority".

Note that this is also a default. You can right-click Word Options and add
it to your Quick Access Toolbar and then it's just a click away or you can
use the old accelerator command, such as Alt+T+O and display it. You can add
any of the dialog boxes you may use frequently to your Quick Access Toolbar
or use the old accelerators from Word 2003. You can even create your own tab
on the Ribbon if you want with whatever commands you want to add.

In my opinion, this change isn't any different from using slash commands to
navigate an application to using a mouse, menus, and toolbars. I recall
those days, I couldn't imagine how a mouse was going to make me more
efficient than my trusty slash commands! Those were engrained - it was like
my hands had their own "brain" and functioned independently of what I was
doing. Now I need to look at stuff and click?? I can't see how taking my
hands off the keyboard and reaching for a mouse was going to make me work
faster!

And it's no different from the change from WordBasic to VBA. My first
thought was WordBasic was SOOOO simple - why did they make it so much more
difficult??? Objects, Properties, Methods, Events? Who needs this stuff?
What do they have to do with automating tasks in Word??? Then I learned the
power of VBA.

I'm currently learning the power of XML.

Now, I'm off to do what I come here for in the first place, to help others
with Word. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"Larry" wrote in message
Beth, after you said that Word 2007 is really good once you get into it, I
asked you how you could justify certain features of Word 2007, such as the
fact that basic controls and dialogs, which used to be two simple steps
away
from the user interface, are now several awkward steps away from the user
interface. You declined to reply, on the basis that it would be a waste
of
breath because anything you said would not be persuasive to me. For you,
who refused to answer my questions and to defend your own position in this
discussion, to accuse me of making cheap shots for making the arguments
for
which you had no answer, is ridiculous.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
The "cheap shot", Larry, is spending a limited amount of time using Word
2007, forming quick and non-researched opinions, and then criticizing it
every chance you get.

I'm sure if I spent 5 to 10 minutes using "Larry's Word", and if I were

one
to form quick and non-researched opinions, I'd think it was hideous, a
catastrophe, and a monstrosity - all because I haven't taken the time to

use
it.

What you say takes months to learn really doesn't take that long at all.
Now, I spent months learning about the new features (which is true of any
new version), but I adapted to the UI fairly quickly. FWIW, I've been

using
the Office applications, with the menus/toolbars, since 1985, starting

with
Excel on a Mac. I went from using SuperCalc and WordStar with the slash
commands and I couldn't imagine how using a mouse would help me work

faster
than my trusty keyboard navigation! But once I got the hang of using a

mouse
I never looked back.

The UI you love was designed for 1989, just as the slash command

nagivation
was designed for early computer applications. A lot has changed since
then
and the programs outgrew the menu/toolbar system. I'm surprised they

didn't
do this long ago.

I think the bottom line is, if you prefer to drive your 1950 Chevy with
no
air conditioning, manual steering, manual transmission, and drum brakes,
then by all means, keep driving it. I prefer to drive my new convertible
with air conditioning, automatic steering, split shift transmission (can
switch to automatic or manual), anti-lock brakes, heated leather seats,

GPS,
and 4-disc CD changer. I like my car and I'm tired of someone merely

kicking
the tires and making assumptions about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"Larry" wrote in message
That's a cheap shot, Greg, and it's beside the point. I'm not a

software
designer. My criticisms of the Word 2007 monstrosity stand.

Hey, if MS created two alternative versions of Word, one for people who
really like the design of Word 2007 and really enjoy spending months
figuring out how to use it, and one for people who expect a basic

product
into which they've invested years of their lives to remain in
existence,
then I'd have no problem with that.

Larry

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Larry,

I have read many of your posts and your disappointment with Word2007
is
clearly evident. To be blunt you are beginning to sound like a broken
record.

I am not thrilled by it either, but there are many features that I
like
and
the more I use it my initial ire continues to diminish. I have spent
little time playing with RibbonX custimaztion and while I am far from
proficient, I have been able to create some custom tabs and I am

actually
quite satisfied with the result. I sent you an e-mail (or tried)
offering
to send you a sample document with some simple ribbon cusotomizations.

will still do that if you are interested.

Do you have a garage? If I recall correctly, Microsoft was born in a
garage. Why don't you design a word processing application in your
garage
or similiar small space that satisfies all of your tastes and

requirement
and market it? If you pull it off and there really are millions of

users
and thousands of companies that feel the same as you then your fortune

is
made.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Larry wrote:
Here's hoping that millions of users and thousands of companies
react
as you have done, since apparently that is the only thing that will
persuade the people at Microsoft what a hideous catastrophe Word
2007
is.

Larry

"CS Hayes" wrote in message
FYI again

I am not very interested in old tool bars for new programs. I have
been using 2007 trial and sadly I'm not impressed. I do understand
that I will have to learn this software to be competitive in todays
workforce but I don't like it. I've spent years learning how to
manipulate software via menus and now I have to relearn how to do
it
via ribbons (which is a fancy word for "over sized tool bar.") I'm
going to go to 2003 on my system once the trial runs out.

Here is an interesting idea: since someone can program a new tool
bar for 2007 could someone program an interface for language
compatibility with .NET for VB6? I think this would be something a
lot of people would be interested in.
--
Chris Hayes
Still a beginner (only 12 years)

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Chris,

And there's a more sophisticated tool that's just come out here.
It
includes what the Chinese is offering (the "Lite" version), plus
one that lets you customize the menus, create your own toolbars,
and add your own macros and AutoText. The toolbar can also be
floated.

What's more, you can save each set of customizations - including
where the toolbars are located - in individual documents.

It costs 19.95 for a single license, with discounts for volume
licenses. And you can get 5% off by using the coupon code MVPCINDY

http://www.toolbartoggle.com

For those of you who must have the drop down menus fear no more.

A chinese developer has created an Add In for Office and it's
$29.00 (those folks are becoming quite the capitalists...)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130635/article.html

Where there's a need there's a dollar.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17
2005) http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)