Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default Insert Reference Cross Reference

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think it's safe to assume that if you can't see it, Word can't, either.

so
all may benefit.

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi Daiya,

Thank you for stepping in and helping out. Believe it or not, this is
probably the first and only time I have not repeated the subject of the

post
in the body of the message. I had never run into a problem before.

Thanks
for letting me know that not everybody reads the subject etc. and I'll

make
a point to include it in the body.

Regarding the formatting of the reference field, I followed the

instructions
in the link to the dot and still couldn't get it working. It took me a
while to figure out what was missing.

Unlike ^p which does not require show/hide to be on, ^19 only works when
field codes are **visible**.

It will be nice if something similar to the following is included as

part
of
the instruction in the link.

"If you're searching for fields, you must display field codes. To

switch
between displaying field codes and field results, click the field, and

press
SHIFT+F9. To show or hide field codes for all fields in the document,

press
ALT+F9."

Finally, I got it working.

Thank you for your attention.

Epinn

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Re the replace suggestion, from

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...#AlphaEndnotes

"you can use Find & Replace to format all the cross-reference fields.

do
so, go to EditFind. Click More in the dialog. Enter ^19 REF in the

Find
box. Put your cursor in the Replace field, then click on the Format
drop-down menu in the dialog, select Font, and apply the formatting

you
want
to the empty Replace box."

Someone once went off on me for redundancy between my first line and

subject
line, but I also have a tendency not to read subjects *with* the

message.

On 8/31/06 4:19 AM, "garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

It just dawned on me what you were asking... it would have been
better if you had put your whole question in this big white space
provided for that purpose, instead of half of the question in the
subject line (which I originally missed) and the other half down
here (which is out of context when the subject line is ignored).
When you insert a cross-reference, you insert a REF field,
which unlike a normal hyperlink is not affected by the Hyperlink
style. You can make fields such as REF fields visible on screen
by clicking on Tools | Options | View | Field shading: Always |
OK. Shaded isn't quite the same as blue and underlined, but you
should still be able to distinguish them from regular text.
Alternatively, you can manually format each cross-reference as
blue and underlined or use Edit-ReplaceAll to search for REF
fields and replace with FindWhatText+Blue+Underline.

Epinn wrote:

Insert as hyperlink is checked and no problem linking. However,

there
is no
way to tell that text is a hyperlink just by looking at it; not

blue
in
color and not underlined. Have I missed any settings somewhere

else?

Thanks.

Epinn

--