Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Default Label printing

Mike,

Before retiring several years ago, I was the senior Information Technology
(all mainframes) capacity planning analyst for a Fortune 75 electric utility holding
(Georgia Power, Alabama Power, etc.) company in the southeast. We printed
3.2 million utility bills a month, and all were printed on massive, state-of-the-art
high speed IBM laser printers. BellSouth used the same printers we did. A dot
matrix printer wouldn't last a day in such a demanding print environment.

It's a given that dot matrix printers have a role in today's small businesses,
primarily where multiple copies of invoices are needed. However, I'd never
equate dot matrix printers with "bulk printing" and "high speed printing."

After retiring, I thought it would be "cool" to sell computers/printers at
CompUSA as a diversion from retirement. While in the store's Business Unit,
I had an opportunity to learn from customers. Most had migrated to inkjet
and laser printers. Very rarely, someone would come in seeking a dot
matrix printer ribbon. They were from very small businesses who depended
on multiple copies to operate their company. Most companies use databases
and have networked PCs, so they no longer need a copy of forms for each
department such as shipping, sales, and accounting. Dot matrix printers
are on the way out. It will take a few more years but they'll disappear.

Uncle Joe

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote in message ...
Joe

One might have to order ribbons specially, but make no mistake, there are some jobs, especially high speed
bulk printing like electricity or telephone company accounts, where a good dot matrix printer is the only
way to go..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Uncle Joe" wrote in message ...
Not only are dot matrix printers slow, noisy, and expensive,
but ribbons for same are almost imposible to find in stores.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote in message ...
JFK

I just took a look at the price of dot matrix printers made by OKI and Panasonic, thinking that it might
be a good way to use your labels.. from what I saw, it would be cheaper to dump the labels and get new
stock..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message ...
True they are the old labels and we use them for our office and use approx. 1500 for a list. It is dot
matrix but they have worked without the pins. I used to place them all the way to the right and it fed
right into the machine. As I stated, they had worked for the past 2 yrs on my HP with Word 3000 and prior
to that with a Canon. The office has about 40 boxes of the labels left and I guess we will try to use
them until they are gone.(unless I cannot get them to work again and then they will go into the garbage
and I will put in a requisition for new ones )

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote in message ...
Ya did too.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
As I stated.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
Suzanne

The only Avery labels that I have come across with the prefix #4 are for
dot
matrix printers..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Word 2003 does not list any Avery laser/inkjet labels with stock numbers
beginning with 4. Perhaps your labels are intended for a typewriter? If
the
labels are a single-column, then chances are they're a "mini" sheet, and
you
should be looking for a label definition containing that term. But I
don't
see any that are 2.5" x 4.5".

Where I do see label stock numbers beginning with 4 is in the "Dot
matrix"
category, though I still don't see any the size you mention.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"JFK" wrote in message
No it starts with 4 and it is the same template I have always used. I
think
I am going to buy some software specifically for label printing and see
what
happens.
"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
Are you sure that you are using the correct template?.. and does your
Avery sheet number start with the #2?

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
I have used these same sheets for 2 years but this time they just
aren't
working. They have worked in the past but was doing a xmas address
list
with the same database and labels but this time it just won't work. I
might have added some patch from Microsoft 2 yrs ago for this problem
but
don't remember. I thought maybe the automatic updates knocked the
function
of the patch out of whack. Just can't figure it out.
"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
You have to be using the wrong sized sheets for the template..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
The printer will not print unless the labels are placed all the
way
the right edge. I tried putting the labels in the middle and all
it
says is printer out of paper.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I suspect you'll need to feed the labels in the center, which is
where
the
printer evidently expects to find them.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using
Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats
for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the
printer
as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label
which
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the
middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.