Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Gutters. What's the point?

Well, Word is not and has never pretended to be a desktop publishing
application (Publisher fills that slot in the Microsoft Office lineup, to
the extent that anything does). It is a word processing program, pure and
simple. Although it has many features that make it superior to some DTP apps
for specific jobs (such as long documents with footnotes/endnotes, TOCs,
indexes, etc.), its graphics handling and page layout capabilities will
never rival PageMaker, Ventura Publisher, QuarkXpress, Adobe InDesign, etc.

"John" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the great reply Suzanne. You certainly know your stuff.

As much as I like Word I still don't think it's a match for the old

Ventura
Publisher program I used to use about 12 years ago (particularly where

more
complicated documents are concerned). It's both a shame and surprising

that
Word hasn't caught up with these old desktop publishing programs yet. I

still
find the Word interface unnecessarily cluttered and it can sometimes be

very
difficult to place items exactly on the page where you want them to be,

since
Word always seems to assume it knows best.

I'm still not convinced by the ribbon interface either. It may be great

for
users who don't want to learn the program properly but I find it quite

slow
when you want to take control and define elements yourself rather than

just
using all the pre-defined stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.