Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy Sprunger Roy Sprunger is offline

Default Printing list of styles in my document

Thanks Cindy.

The source of my problem is that I don't know which style goes with which
text. The computer only provides a window into the document. Many of the
styles and formatting I am trying to track down are scattered far apart.
While fixing one, I may be making another worse. I actually deleted an image
when I deleted a style, I think. I really don't know because I cannot jump
from one instance to another. And some of these instances run over 200. If
I had a printout that named every style or formatting for every line or
paragraph on every page, I could systematically clear the formatting and
reapply the new style settings. However, as I continued my research into how
best to deal with this file, I realized I needed a combination approach and
to literally edit the file, line by line, because of where I am finding the
styles and formatting. I have had to create new styles to accommodate some
of the content, as well as reformatting some existing styles.

Thanks for the reply. At least it confirms what I have already learned
today. It is soooo tedious!, but it has to be done.

Roy
"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Um95IFNwcnVuZ2Vy?=,

How do I get printed output naming every style and formatting change,
accompanied with what page it appears on, for example, a document map

showing
line by line style and formatting? Is this possible?

Only by using a macro, and for that I advise you to ask in the word.vba
newsgroup as it not a simple "I can type it out for you in a couple of
minutes" kind of task. It's something you're going to have to learn how to
program.

Both of you provided useful advice but neither of you truly addressed the
question.

Because this is an end-user newsgroup, and we were providing information
that an end-user can work with without needing to use macros.

Given Word 2003, if you know which styles are allowed, I'd be tempted to
work with the Styles and Formatting task pane. Set it to show all formatting
in use, and make sure the option "Keep track of formatting" is activated in
Tools/Options/Edit. The task pane should now show you all formatting that's
been applied in the document - both styles as well as direct formatting.

Now go to an entry that's "not allowed". Hover the mouse over it, then click
on the arrow that appears at the right. You should see information on how
often it's been used. You should also be able to "Select all (n) instances".
Once you've done this, you can clear the direct formatting (Ctrl+Q,
Ctrl+Spacebar), then click on a style name valid for this formatting and it
will be applied.

Find/Replace will let you find each individual instance of a formatting set.

Personally, I find these tools just as useful, if not more useful, than the
printed format you propose :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org