Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Default How do I prevent word from changing the date when a doc is ope

Hi,

Is is, nevertheless, possible to freeze (lock) the content of fields,
including the DATE field. To lock a date (or another field) so that it won't
be updated again, place your cursor within the field and press CTRL+3 or
CTRL+F11. To unlock a field so that it will be updated, place your cursor
within the field and press CTRL+4 or CTRL+SHIFT+F11.
--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you have documents with Date fields they will always display the system
date of the PC. That's what a Date field does.

As Suzanne has already said, what you need to do is change those date fields
for createdate fields - ALT+F9 change {DATE \@ "d MMM yyyy"}or {TIME \@ "d
MMM yyyy"} to {CREATEDATE \@ "d MMM yyyy"} then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change
the date in your letterhead template so that future letters based on it show
the correct dates. The switches \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your
location. You then need to save the file on your hard drive. The file
attached to your e-mail post will always have a Date field, so refer to the
modified version on your hard drive. If this document is something you
regularly receive, tell the person who sent it to make the change before
posting.

chalen wrote:
Thanks for the help. Is there a way to set my defaults so that it
won't change dates? When I open it from my email it shows todays
date instead of the creation date. This happens even when I open
with out saving.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Press Alt+F9 to display the field code, which will probably be DATE.
Edit this to read CREATEDATE, then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to
update. The document will now display (and continue to display) the
date it was created. Note, however, that, if you have saved the file
on your HD, the date will likely be the date you did that rather
than the original creation date of the document.

http://word.mvps.org

"chalen" wrote in message
I opened a report that I received by email. Each time it is opened
the date
is changed. How do I prevent this?