Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

Default Conditional inserts in label merge

On Feb 9, 9:09*am, MikeB wrote:
I'm doing a label merge (asked a recent question here about it). Now
I'm wondering if it is possible to apply conditions to the merge
process.

For example, if I have a field for last and first names, then I'd like
to merge the first name field into the label, but if the first name is
blank, then I'd like to substitute it with the last name.

In this example, if I have the first name field, then the line might
read.

The game was won by Mike.

If I don't have the first name field and I substitute the last name
field, the line of text should read

The game was won by Black.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Actually, let me expand on that a little more.

Can I also vary the text inserted into the label? For instance, if I
have a field for sender and receiver, then if the receiver field is
filled in, the text might read:

Proposed receiver: Mike Black

But if the sender field is filled in, the text in that area might
read:

Transmitted by Joe Gorilla.

So, is either or both of these things possible in label merge
operations?

Thanks!