Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
D'Arcy D'Arcy is offline

Default Adobe Reader opens when I try to open a .doc file

I have a similar problem when I try to open .doc files with Word 2007 (newly
installed). I tried to set the default file type association to WinWord
2007, but it never comes up in the list. And when I Browse to find it in "My
Computer" I can never find it, because Office 2007 didn't install in Program
Files like everything else normally does. As below, I can live with it, but
it's really annoying.

Thanks.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It appears you have the windows file association for DOC set to Adobe
Reader. Right click a doc in Windows Explorer, choose Open With and select
Winword from the list. Check the box to always open with this application.

goplayoutside wrote:
When I double click on any word 2003 document, I get the following
error from Adobe Reader: Adobe Reader could not open
'name_of_file.doc' because it is either not a supported file type or
because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an
email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

However, if I right click on any .doc file and Open it with Microsoft
Word, the document opens just fine. I can live with it, but its
getting annoying. Thanks for all your help.