Jay Freedman

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:59:09 -0700, Jackie
wrote:

I was trying to figure out how to set my tab so each time I hit it it goes 5
spaces from my last word typed.

This makes sense only if you're using a nonproportional font such as
Courier New or Lucida Sans Typewriter, where the widths of all
characters (including spaces) are the same. In those fonts, you can
figure out the width (in inches) of five spaces in the current font
size, and use that to set tabstops.

There are only a few nonproportional fonts, though. Most fonts are
proportional, meaning that each character has its own width -- for
example, an 'i' is narrower than an 'm' -- and Word may automatically
adjust space characters to different widths in different lines. In
these fonts, "the width of five spaces" is a meaningless concept.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...ettingTabs.htm for more
info.

--
Regards,