Default Problems migrating Word 97 mailmerge document to Word 2003

This is driving me buggy, and I hope someone can give me some advice
here so I can finish updating my Alumni directory webpage.

I have for years been creating a directory of names/addresses/phone
numbers from a database in a Word 97 word table. Now I have Word 2003
and cannot get a correct merge using the dang Word 2003 "Wizard".

With Word 97 when I opened my template the Mail Merge toolbar would
appear, and I could easily initiate the merge. I could then set merge
options easily for which fields to use and how to sort the result.
(Usually of course the options and sorting remained the same and I
didn't need to make any changes to the template.)

With Word 2003, none of that seems to work, and I am asked to select
the fields to use by checking a box. This obviously does not work well
with a database of about 800 fields.

Is it possible to access something closer to the Word 97 merge in Word
2003? Am I missing something important here???
Appreciate any help,

-Harry