haliburton girl

*I* have introduced it between fields as I want it to look like a list.

I will try to make an "if" statement, but what is the condition. Do I
just put an "if" merge field 1 then merge field 1, I am sorry but WORD
confuses me in its insert word field. Is that where I find the "if"
statement. If so, which one?
thanks,

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Yes, but is the comma in the data or have *you* introduced it between
fields?
eg
{Mergefield field1},{Mergefield Field2}, etc

If the latter, then you need a set of conditional fields eg

{IF {Mergefield Field1} "" "{Mergefield Field1},"}{IF {Mergefield Field2}
"" "{Mergefield Field2},"} etc

ie you conditionally place the field and the comma if the field is not
empty. If it is empty nothing is inserted.

If the former then you need to trap whatever an 'empty' field produces in a
similar manner.

haliburton girl wrote:
I am making a directory. Some of the fields in my database are
blank. When merging them the comma stays between each entry so the
blank ones show as a comma each time.
Jan

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If this is a data file, you would expect the commas to be present.
They mark the fields. If they are in the merged document, where are
they coming from?

haliburton girl wrote:
I am trying to make a directory. I have the fields listed but when
the data is put in, the commas remain for blank fields. It looks
like this teaching,,,,,writing,speech,