Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default Merging data with INSERTTEXT and MERGEFIELDs

Some field types will not work, the merge can sometimes be finickity
(complaining about locked fields), and sequencing is a problem if you need
to use { NEXT } fields etc., but Word will merge into merge fields into Text
boxes and even into other inserted objects such as org charts.

Peter Jamieson
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
While I would agree with Doug on this, I should also point out that as
text boxes are in the graphics layer of the document, the merge will not
see the fields they contain.

James wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to set up a letter head. This letter head contains text
boxes that arrange the address and salutation details etc. I would
like to be able to merge this letterhead into the Header of my
Letter, and then use a mailmerge to populate the MERGEFIELD data in
the textboxes.

I am using an INSERTTEXT to pull in the letterhead to the header of my
letter, but for some reason when I do this Word drops the MERGEFIELDs
leaving ordinary text, thus when the Mailmerge occurs, the header is
not populated with the details, just left with the text used to
identify the fields.

What I am hoping to find out is, if I can manage to get the text
boxes to retain there MERGEFIELDs through the INSERTTEXT ? If not is
there a way around it that you know of ? If not then do you know how
to reference frames by name ? i.e so that I can change there values
from code like you can with textboxes.

Sorry for the long post, hope someone is able to help as I am really
stuck

Cheers, James