robin

Jay,

I did exactly what you told me and it worked for the most part. But the
problem I am running into now is it creates the filename but not the path of
the file. In other words when I select Filename and path and hit ctrl and F9
it turns the code into the actual name (which is normal.dot) and I save the
changes but when I use that feature again it only displayes the filename not
the path. What am I missing?

Then too, I also noticed that all of those options under header and
footer\insert... does not work. I guess I would have to do that to all of
them but it is not working for filename and path yet.

Please help!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Robin,

It sounds like the AutoText entry for Filename and Path (which normally is a
field containing the field code filename \p) has been replaced with plain
text. That's stored in the Normal.dot template, not in the registry.

Select the text filename \p and then press Ctrl+F9 to turn it into a field.
Press F9 to update it. While that field is selected, press Alt+F3 and type
in the name Filename and Path. Word should ask you whether you want to
replace the existing AutoText entry of that name; answer yes. If you're
asked to save Normal.dot when you exit from Word, answer yes again.

All of this will affect only the user profile in which you do it, since each
profile has its own copy of Normal.dot.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

robin wrote:
I have Office 2003.

I am trying to access the header and footer feature in Word but when I
choose View\header and footer\insert auto text\filename and path i
get this message:
filename\p
but it does not give me the actual name and path of the file. I
toggled the Alt F9 but it does not change the coding in the header. I
even went to Tools\options\view tab and checked and uncheck the box
that says "field codes" but nothing change. I hightled the code in
the header box and toggled the field codes on and off and the coding
in the header never changed. Is there something that I am missing? It
has something to do with the profile b\c when I log on to the same
computer but with a different profile the toggle of 'field code'
works but it is only with the other profile that we have the problem.
Is there a registry setting that I can check either under his profile
or somewhere else? Can you help me?

Thanks for your help