Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Cannot e-mail merge from Word 2003

You shouldn't have to do this, but it's likely to solve this problem:
a. stop trying to use the Merge Wizard
b. go into Outlook
c. open your contacts folder
d. go to Outlook Tools|Mail Merge...
e. take it from there.

Peter Jamieson

"Louverril" wrote in message
news
Please can you help me access my Outlook contacts during a Word e-mail
mail
merge. I cannot get help from Microsoft because I purchased the software
from
the British Computer Society!!!!! (On a private use scheme - or similar
name).

When I select "choose contacts folder" in the mail merge wizard, if
Outlook
is open, I then select the contacts list (there is only one contacts list)
from the contacts list window.

Instead of seeing the contacts I get the following message "the operation
cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine failures. Please
try
again later."

I tried closing Outlook and before the contacts list window I have to pick
profile - again there is only one: "outlook internet settings" - so I pick
this, get the contacts list and proceed as above, the same error message
appears.

I've tried restarting the PC and using a completley new Word document but
it
makes no difference. I can pick up data from other sources (eg,. a list of
recipients on an Excel file) but not from Outlook.

BACKGROUND:
I'm running Windows XP professional, Office Professional Edition 2003. Iam
the only user on the stand alone PC - there has only ever been one user.

When Office 2003 was installed it took all the settin s form the pervious
version 2000.

WHAT I HAVE ALREADY TRIED:
Have tried
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...186361033.aspx.
I have no other profile to change to so that was no good. Also I checked
the
property and the folder was set to Show this folder as an e-mail Address
Book. So nothing else to try on that.

I also tried all the suggestions on
http://support.microsoft.com/error.a...aspx/kb/322215.
None of the fixes worked (getting latest MDAC version -already had it) or
repairing word or registering the Jet Engine stuff). The work arounds
suggested in this article are of no use because they do not allow you to
merge to e-mail.