Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default CGM Graphic Import Problem

OK. My guess on the font issue is that the converter uses the normal style
to format the text. Word on installation uses Times New Roman as default
font. Try changing the font in the normal paragraph style for Arial. I could
be wrong, but I doubt that the converter has a separate means of setting the
font used. However I have cross posted this thread to the graphics forum
where someone else may have some insights.

binar wrote:
Graham,
Thanks for the post. To answer your question the CGM format is widely
used among all the Defense Contractors I have worked for in the past.
This file format has a small file size and produces ultrasharp lines
since the artwork is made up of line objects and not pixels like a
JPEG or TIFF file format. It's exported from apps like ProE,
Inventor, AutoCad for use in technical manuals. The problem I'm
supspecting is with WORD. Corel displays ARIAL, and when I import
the CGM file I exported out of COREL into some other app like Adobe
Illustrator the fonts still display as ARIAL. It's only when I
import the COREL CGM export file into WORD that all of the ARIAL
fonts get mysteriously changed to TIMES NEW ROMAN. I'm guessing WORD
has to have a setting some where where one can GLOBALLY set the
default font to ARIAL. If anyone else has any ideas please let me
know. Thanks.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

In answer to your first question - no!
I suspect the problem with text conversion is related to the Corel
converter.
Given all the graphics formats you could have chosen, why did you
choose CGM?

binar wrote:
Fellow Forum Members,

I'm importing CGM graphic files into Word for a technical manual I'm
working on. First problem I'm having is that the Thumbnail view in
Word does not show a thumbnail view of the grahic in the Import
Picture Dialog Window. Is there anyway to add CGM graphic format
thumbnail view capability in Word?

Second, I'm editing my CGM illustrations files using Corel Draw and
then export them as CGM. The text in the Corel illustration is
ARIAL. But when I import the CGM illustration into Word for some
reason I don't understand WORD is changing the all the ARIAL fonts
into Times New Roman. Is there anyway to tell WORD that all
imported graphics need to be imported as ARIAL?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.