Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word Sorting

Um, it isn't the USPS that designed the software that extracts the
names from someone's contact list ...

On Jan 18, 10:53*am, Jerry wrote:
But the "leveling influence of the USPS" also causes those poor souls with a
Roman numeral after their names to receive mail with a salutation that says,
"Dear Mr. III."

Jerry Doe III

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
The usage of people who have a roman numeral varies considerably. My feeling
is that the "correct" version is without a comma. After all, you don't write
"Louis, XIV" or "King George, III." But many people do include a comma,
whether out of family tradition or ignorance, their own or a secretary's. I
can attest that the Candler dynasty in Atlanta, which was up to six or seven
when I was working in the Development Office at Emory, do not use a comma.
Thanks to the leveling influence of the USPS, which prefers all caps and no
commas, even the comma before "Jr." is becoming lost.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
I figured you'd come through with a solution ... in the last one, is
the comma essential? Because usually one would write

Joe A. Miller, Jr.
Joe A. Miller III