Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default showing chapter numbers with page number when scrolling

The Navigation pane replaced the Document Map in Word 2010 (and later).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

charles wrote in message ...
"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in news:bab8enFpjj9U1
@mid.individual.net:

Hi Charles,

I do have chapter numbers, and I'd like them to
be shown. In some documents, Word shows them,
in others not. I thought outline-level styles
might be involved so I checked and all my chapter
numbers in the document that doesn't show them
are Heading 1 style which is outline level 1. That's
what's driving me crazy. Because in some other docs,
they do show.

are those headings placed within a table
Can you see those headings in the navigation pane?

Hi Lisa,

They're not in tables. Each is at the top of a page with the Heading 1
style.

I don't know what you mean by "the navigation pane" I'm ashamed to admit.