Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Numbering figures - caption problem

If you are adding captions to objects whose Text Wrapping is *not* "In line with
text," note that the captions end up in text boxes, and the numbering will
depend on the relative positions of the text box *anchors* in the text.

To see the anchor (when an object is selected), select that option in the Word
Options dialog box (File tab | Options | Advanced if you are using Word 2010).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

I am having the same problem with numbering too. But in my case it has stopped
at 8 rather than 2. I figured out that in case you used more than one figure
in a page and most certainly placed beside each other, so the MS word will
get confused numbering them and to which to give number 8 and which to be
numbered 9 (in your case 2 and 3) that's why they should be some how separated
if you intend to caption them in same level or to put one over the other.