Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Word 2007 Outline-Numbered Heading Styles

When opening the multilevel list dialog box, make sure to have the insertion
point in the first top-level paragraph of your list, which for heading
numbering means the first Heading 1 paragraph of the document. If you don't
do that, Word might restart the numbering at the insertion point, but for
numbering linked to paragraph styles you can easily fix it by pressing
Ctrl+Q (to reset paragraph formatting).

If you make use of list styles (Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New List
Style), you will find it easier to edit a list after you've created it; for
example, you can use the Manage Styles dialog box for that purpose.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rgille" wrote in message
Thanks Pam, that is very helpful. So, to modify Heading styles integrated
with multilevel list numbering, I go in to modify through the "Define a
New
Multilevel List" link, rather than through the Modify Styles dialog box.
still think it's confusing because if you go in to modify the Heading
style
directly (by accessing the Modify Style dialog box), it doesn't seem to
allow
modification of the numbering on the Heading styles, even though there is
Numbering link there. Also, "Define a New Multilevel List" is used in
this
case to modify the current list numbering, not to create a new list (since
don't need to name a new list here). But in any case, so long as I can
modify my heading numbering now, I'm happy. Thanks! - Bob

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Yes, using Multilevel lists is the W2007 way to number headings (& of
course
there's another). The method to apply them is this: (1) Place your cursor
in
a paragraph that you want to be your top-level heading. (2) Select and
click
a multilevel list that is linked to headings--one of them that shows
grayed
out "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc. after the numbers. That's it. Now when
you
apply a heading style, it will be numbered. If you need to modify the
multilevel list numbering, you can Define a new multilevel list.

The other method? Create a list style. (1) Select and click a multilevel
list
that is linked to headings--one that is close to what you want. (2) Click
Define new list style. (3) Name the list style and click Format. (4) In
the
Modify multilevel list dialog, set up the numbering level to style links,
the
restart numbering after choices, and such. The list style *is* a style
and
can be named, modified, and presumably saved in templates and transferred
other documents.

*****
Actually, I think W2007 is more intuitive. Who would think that one
should
only modify Heading 1 to set the links and relationships for all the
headings-
-as we are advised to do in W2003?

rgille wrote:
Hello - I was expert at creating outline-numbered heading styles in Word
2003
and earlier. I still haven't figured out the best way to do this in
Word
2007. In Word 2007, when I access the Modify Style dialog box for
Heading 1
style (for example), click the Format button, then click the Numbering
link,
this takes me to a Numbering and Bullets dialog box that does not
include
outline numbering. So if I add numbering to my Heading 1 style, it will
not
be linked to numbering I add for other heading levels. Not good. I'm
aware
of the Multilevel List button on the Ribbon's Home tab, Paragraph group.
Is
the best way now to add outline numbering to heading styles to (1) apply
Heading 1 style to a paragraph, (2) pick a multilevel list and apply the
list
formatting as direct formatting on top of the Heading 1 paragraph, then
(3)
update the Heading 1 style to match the selection? If that's the way to
do
it, what's the point of the Numbering link in the Modify Styles dialog
box?
And good luck on further modifications to the outline-numbered heading
style
- sometimes you have to modify from the Modify Style dialog, sometimes
from
multilevel list dialog, and sometimes neither work. (I don't usually
complain about Microsoft, because what's the point, but I have to say it
is
frustrating that they changed something that previously worked well and
intuitively.)