Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
James C James C is offline

Default Word 2007 Outline-Numbered Heading Styles

After 2 hours of putzing with multi-level lists, outline list, bullets and
numbers, and headings and the like...I give up. Everytime I think I have
this working... I edit a section of my document and the headings I dont want
numbered get numbers, and the ones I had perfectly numbered reset to 1.1,
1.2, etc. Word 2007 continues to fight against me....

In switched back to Word 2003 and finally got the document to hold the
outline numbering so I could finish the document for an 8 am deadline. Geez,
I thought Ventura Publisher was hard, but honestly it did make bullets and
numbering easy.

simple. A style sheet is suppose to make life easier, not an endless series
of changing text an patterns, even when you turn off "automatic update" it
still has a mind of its own.

How come something so critical to writing a good technical document is so
complex in this product? This program costs me money rather save me time.

Come on Microsoft, take a lesson from Apple, make the basic things easy.....

James

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
rgille wrote:
Thanks Pam, that is very helpful. So, to modify Heading styles integrated
with multilevel list numbering, I go in to modify through the "Define a
New
Multilevel List" link, rather than through the Modify Styles dialog box.
still think it's confusing because if you go in to modify the Heading
style
directly (by accessing the Modify Style dialog box), it doesn't seem to
allow
modification of the numbering on the Heading styles, even though there is
Numbering link there.

Yes, that is confusing. I keep it straight by remembering that multilevel
list numbering is not applied or adjusted through the modify styles dialog
(with one (probably a bug) exception: removing numbering from styles after
multilevel list has been changed to none).

Indeed, it is interesting that you can use the Modify Style dialog box to
clear the numbering for a style. As you point out, this might very well be a
bug.

The other (potentially safer) way to clear multilevel numbering from
paragraph styles is via the multilevel list dialog box, choosing "(no
style)" for each numbering level.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Bullets and numbering is still in
the modify styles picks because you CAN apply regular numbering and
bullets
through modify styles.

Pam

Also, "Define a New Multilevel List" is used in this
case to modify the current list numbering, not to create a new list (since
don't need to name a new list here).

But in any case, so long as I can
modify my heading numbering now, I'm happy. Thanks! - Bob

Yes, using Multilevel lists is the W2007 way to number headings (& of
course
there's another). The method to apply them is this: (1) Place your
cursor in
[quoted text clipped - 36 lines]
frustrating that they changed something that previously worked well and
intuitively.)