Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default \* MERGEFORMAT and \* Charformat

Personally I don't use Mergeformat at all. Either I use no switch and format
the field as required or add a charformat switch if needed.
You haven't provided sufficient information to duplicate the conditions at
your end, but from your description it appears that the field is not
updating. You may be better employed adding a macro to force an update - Try
the sample code at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Jose Valdes wrote:
The following format switches are giving me inconsistent results in
MS Word 2003: \* MERGEFORMAT and \* Charformat.

I use two character styles, 2400 and 3000, based on product model
numbers to hide and show text. For example, if I print the 2400
manual, I format the 3000 character style as hidden text. The problem
is that if I apply a character style to a cross-reference (ref
field), the ref does not consistently keep the character style when
the result of the field changes. For example, if the result of the
ref is "Product", only part of the result of the ref field keeps the
character style when it changes to something longer like "Product
Information". Maybe the word Product will keep the character style,
but Information will not.
Another annoyance of Charformat is that if I change which character
style is hidden and which is shown, some ref fields lose the
character style. I know that I have seen this problem with
Charformat, but I'm not sure about MERGEFORMAT.

Does anyone know how to get one or both of these format switches to
work properly? I feel like I am using these switches exactly as they
are documented by Microsoft.

Currently, I use MERGEFORMAT exclusively and I re-apply character
styles to ref fields when they change their values. Unless I can get
these switches to work properly, I plan to write a VBA script that
will automate re-applying these formats.
Thanks! Jose