Ah, even more likely; someone has typed text into the Endnotes.

"bud i" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What you describe sounds like a Footnote Separator. When you force it to

that
you have a footnote in the document. What I think is happening, judging
from your description, is that the text of a footnote was deleted

without
deleting the (perhaps hidden) footnote reference in the text. The

footnote
thus remained, albeit empty. Perhaps footnotes are set to be "Below

text"
rather than at "Bottom of page," but in any case, working in Print

Layout
view, you (or someone) started typing in the footnote rather than in the
document body. All the text from that point forward is now part of the
footnote instead of the body text. Naturally, as you add to the

footnote, it
grows to take up page after page, each one headed with the Footnote
Continuation Separator.

This may be a little difficult to fix, but here's what I'd suggest:

1. Display all nonprinting characters (including Hidden text) using the

Show
All command.

2. Display text boundaries (Tools | Options View); this will help you

get a
better handle on the extent of text areas in the document.

3. Select all the text in the document that follows the original short

line.
Cut or Copy (I would suggest cutting all but a line or two of the
text--leave a little to work with later.)

4. At the end of the last paragraph preceding the short line, press

Enter to
create a new empty paragraph.

5. Paste the cut/copied text here.

6. This is where it's going to get tricky. Switch to Normal view and use
View | Footnotes to open the footnote pane. When you place the insertion
point in the footnote text, the footnote reference mark should be on the

top
line of the document text displayed above. With luck, you should be able

find it and delete it (even if it's formatted as Hidden, it should be
displayed since you have Hidden text displayed. If so, select it and

delete
it.

7. If that doesn't work, close the footnote pane and use Edit | Go To to

go
to Footnote. If there's something there, Word may be able to find it. If

it
does, even if you can't see the reference mark, select a few characters

on
either side of the insertion point and delete. Then retype the visible

text
characters.

8. If that doesn't work, select the entire line where the footnote

reference
mark must be, delete it, and retype.

9. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas! You'll have to see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"bud i" bud wrote in message

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...tRidOfLine.htm .

wanttoknow wrote:

I have read "There is a line in my document that I can't delete

because
I can't select it. How did it get there, and what can I do about it?

Article contributed by Suzanne Barnhill and Dave Rad" and several

other
posts with no success.

I am running Office XP under XP Home Edition.

I am editing a clients Word document that contains that domineering
Horizontal Line so popular in these messages. I have tried the Control

+
Q,
ensuring there is no Border selected on the previous paragraph, and

disabling
the Auto Format As You Type to no avail. Let me list the symptoms.

1) A two inch line exists about 2 inches from the bottom of the 6th

page.
2) A quarter inch wide box surrounds the line if Format Characters is
displayed.
3) If I insert CRs in front of it until it auto pages, it becomes a

full
width line.
4) The line appears to be part of the header, as it is at the top of

all
subsequent pages.
5) When headers are displayed, those on page 7 and following expand an
additional ΒΌ inch to include it.
6) I have no information in any header, but do have a short line and

page
number in the footer.
7) It disappears if the text is hidden.
8) I cant select it. I also tried selecting CRs above and below it,

but
got
bleeped.
9) Cant insert a page break with Control + Enter in page 7 and all
following. The insert menu has grayed out Break, Page Numbers,

Comments,
Diagrams, and Text Box.
10) When I click on the line, the cursor is displayed on the following

line
of text.
11) I have also tried the anti-formatting and Control + Q thing on the
preceding Headers and Footers.

Sighhhhhhh! I am now awaiting your magic wand to tell me what I have

done
did or didn't done.

- bud i -

Your descriptions sounds like it would meet all of the symptoms. The
document does hae endnotes. I'll just substitute that in your instructions

in
place of footnotes and have a go. Thaqnks for the quick response.