Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q0s=?=,

When I double click my .dot file on my desktop (I am running XP Office Word
2002) it opens and asks the questions on opening of the file. When I open
the same file in the same way on Word 2003 it does not ask on opening. It
opens the same in all other versions of office/word apart from 2003.

Have you tried this?

Yes, it works just fine, here. Just tested it again, to make sure.

When you double-click a file on the desktop, a "default command" is executed.
With *.dot files, the default command generally is to create a new file. But
it's possible that something on the system has changed the default to "open"
instead of "New". When you double-click and it doesn't work, what's the name
of the file in the Word title bar? Is it Document [n] or [TemplateName].dot?

It shouldn't make a difference, but you might check whether "Update links on
open" is activated in Tools/Options/General. If it's not, try activating it
and see if that has any effect.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org