Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shauna Kelly

Default Word 2000: little black square, cursor disappears, block stops, rogue linefeeds...

Hi aalaan

I've used Vet or one of its derivatives for years. It sounds like you have
really awful problems and not what should be expected. Their technical
support people are really good. If I were you, I'd give them a ring:
http://www.vet.com.au/html/contact/

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message ...
Frankly I'm nervous about doing this, because patches often seem to
introduce
new problems and this is now my livelihood! For example, various articles
say
the SP 2(?) causes Word to freeze!

There is this risk with all software. On the whole my original Word 2000
works
well, with the exception of the problems described (which may be due to
the
original author playing with stuff). The only real bug I've ever noticed
until
I tried to edit the current file is that in numbering, the single numbers
line
up with the tens in the double, ie they do not comply with mathematical
(Tidy)
practice...

An example of the reason for my caution about software is yesterday I
installed
the anti-virus software Vet. Now it takes control of my browser and takes
me to
trial redirection pages that don't redirect. It hangs up my machine when
I try
to delete it. And generally it's messed up everything so that I shall
probably
have to takes hours to clean my disk and reinstall all my software!

Shauna Kelly wrote:

Hi aalaan

I'm using Word 2000 with no updates

Then it's time to update! Go to
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/default.aspx and click "Check for
updates"
in roughly the top right-hand corner.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message ...
Hi all you experts!

I'm using Word 2000 with no updates. I have a handful of very
irritating problems and would be gald of your expert answers.

1 What are the little black squares in several places in (someone
else's) documents? I can't reach them with the cursor. How can I get
rid of them?

2 Every now and then the cursor disappears completely and I'm flying
blind. OK in other places in the document. What's happening?

3 Sometimes when I block large chunks of text the block reaches a
stop and I have to deal with that and then select a new block.

4 Sometimes the delete key will not delete and I have to block mark
and then delete.

5 Sometimes random linefeeds seem to occur and break up continuous
text.

6 I need to work with 50,000-word and up documents. Is thi size a
particular danger?

Your replies to any of these will save my sanity! Thanks

aalaan