Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TheWheel TheWheel is offline

Default How do you use a template?

To provide you with an example of what is not helpful... take the following
linked document/instructions:

http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22

I would copy and paste verbatim, but I think it may be protected... (against
what I ask)

Open a blank template in Word by clicking File|New and be sure to choose the
TEMPLATE option before you click OK.

Aside from the fact that there is no TEMPLATE option in Word 2003

Do you understand at all? Not one entire instruction into the process, and
it does not work. It isn't even possible as written.

I'm getting an irritating right hand panel with many icons and links, even
headers and a search field, and nothing remotely resembling the ability to
"choose TEMPLATES" and certainly no OK Button.

So, for clarity, again, I would suggest to MICROSOFT that they make sure
available instructions actually are POSSIBLE to follow.

Hmmm. Is that really such a revolutionary idea?

David

"TheWheel" wrote:

Thank you to all in the chain.

However, I must assume I have been unclear.

I wish to use a pre-existing, Microsoft provided template, obtained through
the "live" link to templates from inside Word 2003.

By "use" I mean to understand the significance of areas that are "gray" and
appear to be fields for input of my information.

I asked several very specific and very mechanical questions concerning
whether these "gray" spots are intended only to be "overstriken" and
obliterated, or whether there may be some slightly more sufisticated manner
available to obtain "replacements" of those values.

For all the effort Microsoft help demonstrates, and the efforts of the good
people above in this thread, I do not see anything addressing these very
straightforward mechanical questions.

I am starting to suspect that Instead of using all caps for CLIENT NAME and
just typing over it, some people use macrobuttons, not to run macros at all,
but simply to be obliterated by typing over them. Seems like a gross waste of
horsepower. Of course, this really doesn't address the order of operations
required to change a document rather than the template when doing so.

If I were addressing Microsoft (do "they" listen?) I would suggest that
every help topic be reviewed with respect to: Why does one want to do this?
What other alternatives are there? From the beginning, what is done? And
avoid generalities in the instructions portion of the help. Exemplify by
picking an instance and making an example of it.

Thanks for all your efforts, and any future comments you may wish to make.
-- David

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

Hi Wheel

To add to what JoAnn and Charles said, it's worth bearing in mind that
people create templates for different reasons. When you create a new
document from a template, you'll see quite different things depending on
what the template creator had in mind. Here are some examples:

1. A template might be created to help people use appropriate formatting.
When you create a new document from the template, the body of the document
might be completely empty. You can just type the text you choose. Businesses
create templates like this to help you use the standard formatting the
business has chosen. So when you apply, say, the Heading 1 style, Heading 1
might be defined as blue Arial 16pt. In a different template, Heading 1
might be green Times New Roman 18pt.

Some templates like this have additional toolbars to help you insert
standard pieces of text, or to apply styles (like Heading 1) easily, or to
provide extra functionality to Word.

2. A template might be set up to help you lay out a complex document. A
template for a newsletter or flyer might be like this. It may be laid out in
columns, it might have a banner on the front with place for a logo.

3. A template might be set up as a form, for example an Application for
Leave form. So the template will include text (like "Name") and a place for
you to type your name. Some form-type templates are simple forms where you
type where indicated. Some might be partly protected so the template will
only allow you to type in the right places. Some can be quite sophisticated.
For example, when you type your name, the template might look up your name
in a database, find your supervisor's name and automatically add the
supervisor's name to the document.

4. Other templates are designed to give you standard text as a starting
point for your document. In a business, you might have a standard contract
for buying goods and services. The template would hold all the required text
of the contract, perhaps dozens of pages of text. It may have places for you
to type the name of the supplier, the price and so on. Templates like this
may or may not care much about formatting or layout.

5. Some templates use a wizard. When you create a new document from this
kind of template, a wizard opens that asks you for information, and then
puts the information into the new document. There are some built-in wizards
in Word. Try File New. In the Task pane at the right, click On My
Computer. Now, on the Other Documents tab, click the Calendar Wizard, and
then click OK.

There are several templates built in to Word (which you can access through
File New and "On my computer"). You can download templates from Microsoft
at http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/te...323741033.aspx. And, of
course, you can create your own templates.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"TheWheel" wrote in message
Nothing I've seen starts at the begining and moves forward!

Simple! How do you use a template?

File Projects My Templates?

THEN WHAT?

Are there ANY fields, or do I just type stuff on?

If I need additional sets of things, what do I do? Just type them in, or
copy and paste the template lines?

How should I replace the template text? Search and replace? Highlight and
Type? Type and delete?

How how how!