Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee Dee is offline

Default Problem with Excel link breaking

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I finally decided to approach it in another way -
I copied and pasted the Word file into the Excel file as an icon Word object.

This works, except that check boxes that are in the Excel file are very
faint when copied and linked into the Word file.

I need the entire Word object, BTW, because users may need bits and pieces
of it the Excel file to be transferred into the Word file and when changes
are made to the Excel file, all links should be updated.

Don't know if this makes sense!
--
Thanks!

Dee

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi dee

dee wrote:
I need to send a file to various people using e-mail that contains Excel
data. To avoid having to send my Exel file with the Word file, I was advised
that the best way to do this was to Insert, Object, Excel object from file,
WITHOUT a link, display as icon. I then double-click to open the object,
copy, paste special WITH a link to varioius parts of my Word file to show
various parts of the embedded Excel file.

What part from the excel file do you need to show in your file? A table
with cells can be copied over to Word directly, a chart likewise (as a
WMF/EMF picture, for instance). The Excel Object itself is rarely
needed, IMHO.

It works fine for awhile - I can double-click the Excel object icon, make
changes and they reflect in the Word file. However, as soon as I close the
Excel object worksheet, the link seems to disappear - no changes are made to
the Word file and if I try to update links, I get a message that the linked
object can not be found.

Well, you have (rightly) deselected the "link" option, so there are no
links to update. Word _should_ reflect what you have changed in the
object, so what's happening with your installation (OS and Office
version?) is not normal.

HTH
Robert
--