Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default opentype advanced features in Word.

On Jun 3, 4:04*pm, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote:
Hi Fraudulent

Fraudulent wrote:
Opentype often has swashes, ligatures, (true) small caps etc...
I know windows can handle it, why not word?

how can Windows handle SmallCaps?

Ligatures, you have to insert them directly. That's surely not the best
solution. OTOH, at least in my language, not every occurrence of, say,
"ft" should get the corresponding ligature.

Both of these situations are handled well in FrameMaker. When "Pair
Kerning" is turned on, it automatically substitutes the fi, fl, ff
ligatures for the separate characters but still reads them as the
separate letters for hyphenating and spellchecking (unfortunately it
doesn't do it for ffi and ffl, which are only available in nonstandard
fonts).

For true small caps, you need to have a separate font with characters
with the proper lineweights to match the regular text type, but FM
calls it when the SmallCaps option is chosen in Character Format.

I even have an Adobe PostScript font (for Mac) of true German Fraktur
IWittenberger Fraktur), which comes with all the ligatures used there,
such as ch and sz, but plain American FrameMaker apparently doesn't
have the special coding it needs, so they have to be put in by hand.