Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Creating Web Pages using Word

Good catches, D. I see your points; sorry for the unsolicited "advice".

Pop`

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
Hi Pop,

On 9/3/06 8:37 AM, "Pop`" wrote:

Not to be a PIA, but rather to add some relevant information he

Daiya Mitchell wrote:

since Word doesn't actually build
web pages, but instead stores all the information it would need to
reconstruct a Word document from the HTML format.

Not quite: You're splitting hairs with "doesn't actually build web
pages" because it in fact does, and it saves them to disk in
perfectly readable AND edittable format by Word or any other text
editor.

Right, that was sloppy writing.

Most people don't
understand, or care to understand, the arcane process by which that
is done. Word offers many features that browsers simply won't
understand/replicate.

You are misunderstanding. In HTML design mode, Word writes very
capable code, including xml, albeit pretty bloated, but again it's
not intended for the web. That said however, ALL of the major
browsers read Word's code very well, especially IE of course. In
fact, the whole Office suite can write pretty good and usable by
browsers, code. There are a very few things that the latest version
of Word cannot do. What you said is just plain inaccurate.

Actually, you missed my point, or I wasn't clear. Many people using
Word for web pages seem to expect the *Word*-specific features to
transfer over into HTML, and I'm basing this on questions posted by
people on these newsgroups. For instance, Font Scaling, Kerning, I
think I've seen someone ask about section breaks, people ask where
their columns went because they wanted side by side text.... Word
offers many features that browsers simply won't understand/replicate.

I suspect that if you use the HTML mode of Word to design webpages,
what you get is pretty much what you see. However, the impression I
get (again, from questions posted here), is that most people design
their webpages-to-be in the regular modes of Word, not in HTML mode,
and that they expect the full range of Word tools to be available to
them, which is simply not the case.

PS. A quick test suggests that HTML mode does not hide such features
as columns, but that applying them to an HTML doc does nothing.